Using Retinol in the Summer
Retinol is a potent compound that yields remarkable transformations for the skin. Nevertheless, improper usage can cause excessive skin shedding and sensitivity. Consequently, Retinol has acquired a reputation for being a harsh ingredient. As a result, many of your clients might be increasingly cautious and refrain from using it during the summer months, which means they are also losing out on the incredible benefits of Retinol for part of the year.
Retinol is a Vitamin A derivative used in skincare for its anti-aging effects. It boosts cell turnover, collagen production, and reduces signs of ageing including wrinkles and pigmentation. It improves skin texture, minimises pores, and enhances tone. No wonder it has earned a reputation as one of the hero anti-ageing ingredients. To get the best results, your clients need to use Retinol all year round.
- Start with a lower concentration: Start your client on Recover which contains 0.5% Retinol, and then gradually titrate them to R+ which contains 1% Retinol.
- Patch test: Test a small area for sensitivity.
- Apply at night: Use Retinol in the evening to avoid sun sensitivity.
- Cleanse: Tell patients to use Prepare: Gentle Cleanser to prep their skin before applying Retinol.
- Start with less frequency: Advise clients to use every other night or twice a week, and slowly increase usage as tolerated.
- Monitor for reactions: Watch for irritation and adjust usage accordingly.
- Pair with broad spectrum sunscreen and antioxidants: Use Protect 50 broad-spectrum sunscreen and C20: Maximum Strength Vitamin C serum during the day.
- Be patient: Advise that results take time, and consistent use is important.
Posted: Thursday 15 June 2023